I am the woman who put Corelle Ware dishes on her bridal registry.
Because I’m all about functional over beautiful. (This from a girl whose dad drilled holes and hung an old hand-operated wringer from the front of our house, so he could dry off his chamois after washing the car.)
So there’s this cross I love at a downtown craft consignment shop. It’s a fairly large, beautiful ornament made out of broken pieces of old China. (Now I care about China?) If I could afford it, I would hang it in my entryway.
But I am in school recently.
God has sat me down for a little one-on-one, to tell me the cross is not just for pretty. It’s not the nostalgic memory of my entry into relationship with Him. It’s not for hanging on the wall and sighing, Oh, I remember when Jesus gave that to me. It is not fine China.
The cross is Corelle Ware.
For everyday use.
This takes some getting used to, this using the death of Christ as a resting place for every morsel of life, but I’m practicing.
Paul says, “So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him.” (Colossians 2:6) That’s not an instruction to put the cross in the hutch and only bring it out on special occasions.
We received Christ at the cross. That’s where we continue to live.
“The process of living seems to consist in coming to realize truths so ancient and simple that, if stated, they sound like barren platitudes.” -C.S. Lewis
Six Ways to Use the Cross for Everyday
- Someone wrongs you. At the cross you know someone hurt Jesus, too. He understands pain.
- You mess up –again. And again. Still need the forgiveness offered at the cross. Death to that sin.
- Disappointed with how things turned out. At the cross you called Jesus master, so your life isn’t your own anymore.
- Feeling unloved. God demonstrates His gracious love toward you at the cross.
- Need…anything. “He who did not spare His own Son, but gave him up for us all –how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” (Romans 8:32 NIV)
- Physical ailments. Jesus conquers death and offers eternal life in a new body.
The great thing about Corelle Ware?
You can use it like crazy all day long, every day, and it lasts.